I would like to share W. M. Keck Observatory’s engagement around HB2024, a bill that proposes a new governance and management structure for Maunakea.
We seek a model that upholds our core principles*, most importantly the inclusion of the native Hawaiian community in decision-making.
This is consistent with our commitment to a Community Astronomy model as outlined in the Astro2020 State of the Profession*.
Hilton Lewis, Director, W. M. Keck Observatory
- Proposed Conference Committee Draft CD1
- Maunakea Observatories Directors’ Input to Conference Committee
- Principles for the Future Management of Astronomical Facilities on Maunakea
- Astro2020 State of the Profession and Societal Impacts: Excerpts Supporting a Community Astronomy Model
- Maunakea Observatories Testimony to Senate Ways and Means Committee
- Maunakea Observatories Testimony to Senate Higher Education Committee
- Maunakea Observatories Testimony to the House
- HB 2024 Status